This week’s episode looks at the harm both men and women suffer from traditional definitions of masculinity – that is, the “man box” – and the ways both men and women would benefit from redefining masculinity. Times have changed, can our collective expectations of masculinity change as well? It’s not clear that seismic change will happen any time soon, but younger generations are providing hope for incremental change, that eventually will provide men with access to a fuller version of masculinity.
Resources in this episode:
- USA Today article by Alia Datagir, “Men pay a steep price when it comes to masculinity.”
- Time article by Jack Myers, “Young Men Are Facing a Masculinity Crisis.”
- Emily Moon, 1/11/2019 article, “No, Psychologists Aren’t ‘Declaring War’ on Traditional Masculinity.”
- Monica Hesse, 1/12/2019 Washington Post article, “How ‘traditional masculinity’ hurts the men who believe in it most.”
- Samantha Schmidt, Washington Post, “Meet the teenagers who started a feminist club at their all-boys school.”
- Video on Toxic Masculinity